SAF repulses new rebel attack in South Kordofan, says spokesperson
May 26, 2013 (Sudan Tribune)
The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) announced that it repulsed rebels attack on Al-Dandor area in South Kordofan on Sunday, killing more than 70 fighters.
The spokesperson for SAF, Al-Sawami Khaled Saad, said rebels of the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) had attacked Al-Dandora on Sunday morning using tanks and artillery, stressing that SAF clashed with them and killed 70 and seized 2 tanks in good condition.
He pointed out that SAF is still combing the area and pursuing rebel remnants to ensure security and safety of the residents.
Both SAF and SRF are speaking of a decisive battle on Abu-Kershola in hope for destroying the other party.
SRF rebels were not reachable for comment.
SRF rebels extended last April their attacks to Um Rawaba in North Kordofan state before to redeploys its fighters to Abu-Kershola in South Kordofan on the border with North-Kordofan state.
In the same context, Sudan's minister of information and government spokesperson, Ahmed Belal Osman, has reassured people that the general situation in the country is stable and urged them not to listen to rumours about major threats and state collapse.
Osman, who made press statements at the parliament on Monday, further promised Sudanese people of good news soon, stressing that the issue of Abu-Kershola is completely under control.
The Sudanese official called upon the media to only obtain information on the army from SAF's spokesperson, stressing that they would furnish the public with true information regarding any attacks.
Last week, the Sudanese National Council for Press and Publications circulated a directive notifying newspapers to refrain from addressing military and security issues unless information is provided by the army's official spokesperson.
The Nuba Mountains Homepage was made by Nanne op 't Ende.
You can contact me here.